It’s so easy to go crazy on Thanksgiving day. And if it is just one day, then it isn’t that big of a deal. However, that one day turns into two, then three, then six pounds! Don’t let that happen to you.
Here are several suggestions to help you moderate your day.
- Take it slow, start the day with a supportive breakfast. A good protein source and a complex carbohydrate will keep you energized for the morning.
- Eat a little every three hours. Avoid sugary and carb heavy items. Stick with a good protein source and veggies.
- When the turkey hits the table, avoid piling food on your plate. Take a little of each item and enjoy! Save room for a little desert. You don’t have to eat the whole pie, have a taste and leave some for the rest of the family (or bring me some!)
- You should never feel like you need to unbutton the top button on your pants. You should feel satisfied but not stuffed (like the turkey).
- After the meal, take a walk with the family around the block. It’ll help digest the food and keep the blood flowing. The dishes will wait.
- Come to Turkey Day Boot Camp on Thursday from 8 am to 9 am at Memorial Park. Register at: http://www.body3fit.com/turkey
I wish all of you a very happy Thanksgiving!
Enjoy this side dish recipe!
Apple and Brown Rice Stuffing:
1 1/2 cups brown rice, uncooked
2 cups natural apple juice
1 1/2 cups water
2 tsp. olive oil
1 crisp harvest apple, cored and diced
1/2 cup onion, diced
1/2 cup brussel sprouts, finely chopped
4 cloves garlic, pressed through a garlic press
1 carrot, peeled and finely chopped
1 cup celery, diced
1/3 cup oat bran
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1/3 cup slivered raw almonds
1/2 tsp. poultry seasoning
1/4 tsp. thyme
Freshly ground pepper
Prepare rice according to instructions on packaging, using the apple juice and water for the cooking liquid.
In a large skillet heat the olive oil over medium heat. Then add in the onions, garlic, brussels sprouts, carrot, celery, and apple. Cook until crisp.
When the fruit and vegetables are crisp add in the cooked rice, bran, cranberries, almonds, poultry seasoning, pepper and time. Mix well and remove from heat.